Maybe you no longer need your Hotmail account, or you have a duplicate account, and you want to delete your Hotmail account, Microsoft wants to make sure of two things when you try to delete or deactivate your Hotmail account –
- It should be only you and not someone else trying to terminate your account.
- You are not be leaving anything vital that you may need later.
To protect your account from getting closed accidentally, Microsoft asks you to verify your identity and intent for closing the account. For instance, if you forget your account info and changed your security details, then you will have to wait 60 days before terminating your account.
If you wish to close your Microsoft Hotmail account, you can follow the instructions provided below.
6 Steps To Delete a Hotmail Account
As Hotmail is a Microsoft product, so deleting your Hotmail account not only delete the Hotmail email account but also you won’t be able to use it to sign in to the Microsoft products and services you are using. It will delete all the services associated with it, that includes:
- Saved OneDrive files & folders
- Xbox data and Gamertag
- Skype account and Contacts
- NuGet.org account
- Outlook.com, Live, and MSN email accounts
When closing the services mentioned above, make sure to consider the following suggestions before closing your Microsoft Hotmail account permanently.
- Let people know how to reach you. (Set up an automatic reply)
- Cancel any subscriptions associated with your Microsoft account.
- Use the money or gift card you have in your account.
- Save your data and files.
- Make sure to use your remaining Online Commercial Support Benefit.
- Cancel any current business service and delete Azure Active Directories (if any).
- Save your health records.
- Use the remaining Skype credit.
Once you have considered all the suggestions mentioned above, you can follow these steps to close your account.
- Go to the Microsoft Account Termination page on your web browser. You will be prompted to sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Now log in to the Microsoft account, which you want to close. You will be asked to verify your identity.
- Once you logged in, you will be directed to the next screen where you see the message “Make sure email@example.com is ready to close.” After going through the given information thoroughly on the page, click Next.
- On the next page, you will be provided information about the data you will lose on deleting your Microsoft account. Here, you will need to select the checkbox next to each given option to let Microsoft assure that you know the consequences of deleting your account.
- Once you have selected the checkbox next to each option, you will need to choose a reason to close your account from the drop-down menu.
- After selecting a reason from the drop-down menu, you will need to click on Mark account for closure, and your account will be closed permanently.
NOTE: Post deleting your Microsoft account, you will be able to recover your account within 60 days from the date of closing your account. Post this period; your Microsoft account will be closed permanently.