Maybe you no longer need your Hotmail account or you already have a duplicate account, if you are planning to delete your Hotmail account, it is recommended to make sure of the following two things:
- It should be only you and not someone else trying to terminate your account.
- You should not be leaving anything important that you may need later.
In order to protect the account of the user from getting closed accidentally, Microsoft always asks the user to provide identity and intent. For instance, if you ever forget your account info and you need to reset your account, it is suggested to wait 60 days before terminating your account.
If you have decided that you wish to close your Microsoft account, you can follow the instructions provided below.
6 Steps To Delete a Hotmail Account
Hotmail is a Microsoft product and thus it comes associated with a Microsoft account. You will need to delete the Microsoft account in order to delete your Hotmail account. However, before deleting your Microsoft account, you will need to delete all the services associated with it, this includes:
- Saved OneDrive files
- Xbox Live data and GamerTag
- Skype ID and Contacts
- org account
- com, Hotmail, MSN, and Live email accounts.
Apart from closing the above-mentioned services, make sure to consider the following suggestions before closing your account permanently,
- Let people know how to reach you.
- Cancel any subscriptions associated with your account.
- Use the money in your account.
- Save your data and files.
- Manage your kid’s Microsoft accounts.
- Make sure to use your remaining Online Commercial Support Benefit.
- Cancel any current business service and delete Azure Active Directories (if any).
- Save your health records.
- Use remaining Skype credit.
Once you have considered all the above-mentioned suggestions, you can follow these steps to close your account.
- Go to the Microsoft Account Termination page on your web browser. You will be prompted to sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Once you are logged in to your Microsoft account, you will be directed to the next screen where you will be prompted to consider the given information before you mark your account for closure.
- After going through the given information thoroughly on the page, you will need to click on the Next
- On the next page, you will be provided information about the data you will lose on deleting your account. Here, you will need to select the checkbox next to each given option to let Microsoft assure that you have considered the consequences of deleting your account.
- Once you are done selecting the checkbox next to each option, you will need to select a reason from the drop-down menu.
- After selecting a reason from the drop-down menu, you will need to click on the Mark account for closure Your account will be closed permanently.
NOTE: Post deleting your Microsoft account, you will be able to recover your account within 60 days from the date of closing your account. Post this period, your account will be closed permanently,