Skype for Business is undoubtedly the most recommended software by users all over the world. However, such popularity doesn’t change the fact that not all users share the same opinion about the application and wish to do away with it.
If you are also one of those unsatisfied users who wish to give up on Skype, you can easily uninstall it from your device by following the step-by-step instructions provided below.
Steps to Uninstall Skype for Business
Step 1: Prevent Skype for Business from Starting Automatically
- In your Skype for Business program, click on the Gear icon, select the Tools option, and then click on the Options.
- Next, you will need to select a Personal option, uncheck “Automatically start the app when I log on to Windows” and “Start the app in the foreground”. Then, click on the OK
- Then, you will need to select the File option and then on the Exit
Step 2: Uninstall Skype for Business from Your Computer
NOTE: If you are using Office 365 Skype for Business, you will not be able to delete it from your computer without uninstalling the complete Office suite. This is because it is integrated with the other Office 365 apps. Therefore, the only way to uninstall Skype for Business in such a condition is by removing the complete Office from your computer.
- On your computer, go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall or Change a Program.
- Next, you will need to choose Skype for Business option and select the Uninstall In case you are unable to see Skype for Business listed, it means that you are using a version of Skype for Business which comes integrated with other Office 365 applications. In such a case, the only way to uninstall Skype for Business is by removing the Office suite from your computer.
- Once you are on the “Ready to Uninstall?” screen, you will need to select the Uninstall
- Once the uninstalling process gets completed, you will need to select the Close
- Skype for Business will be uninstalled from your computer.
- In order to uninstall Skype for the Business icon from your Dock, begin by logging out of Skype for Business on Mac.
- Next, you will need to close the Skype for Business on Mac sign-in
- Then, you will need to press Control and click the Skype icon at the same time and select the Quit
- After that, you will need to open Finder > Applications, scroll to Skype for Business.
- Finally, drag and drop it into the Trash to complete the Skype for Business uninstalling process.
While these steps should help you uninstall the Skype for Business application from Mac, if these instructions don’t fix the issue, you can try following these steps to completely uninstall Skype for Business from Mac.
Steps to Clean Uninstallation of Skype for Business on Mac
- Begin by logging on to your computer using administrative credentials.
- Quit Skype for Business on Mac if it is running.
- Next, you will need to drag the Skype for Business on Mac application to the Trash
- Then, remove the existing Skype preferences if these hidden files exist. In order to so, follow these steps:
- Go to the Finder menu, click on the Go option and click Go to Folder.
- Then, you will need to delete the following files:
- /Users/<User>/Saved Application State/com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness.savedState
- After that, you will need to delete the following file:
- /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/MeetingJoinPlugin.plugin
- Next, go to the Applications/Utilities folder and open Keychain Access. After that, delete Skype for Business in the logon keychains.
This way you can easily perform the clean uninstallation of Skype for Business on your Mac system.
Additionally, if you are looking to uninstall Skype (non-business version), you can follow the step-by-step instructions provided below for both Windows and Mac computers.
- Begin by quitting Skype. If you are able to see the Skype icon in the taskbar of your computer, you will need to right-click on it and select the Quit option from the menu that appears on your screen. If you don’t see the Skype icon there, you will need to right-click on the taskbar (or press Ctrl+Alt+Delete). Then, click on the Task Manager option, choose Skype and, click on the End Task
- Next, you will need to press the Windows button and R key on your keyboard together. This will open the Run dialog box on your computer.
- Then, you will need to type appwiz.cpl in the field provided in the box and click on the OK
- After that, you will need to search Skype in the list, right-click on it and choose to Remove or Uninstall
- The Skype program will get uninstalled from your computer.
- On your Mac system, you will need to first quit Skype by secondary clicking on Skype. Then, click on the Quit Skype
- Next, you will need to open your applications folder and move the copy of Skype to the trash.
- Then, open Finder and look for a Skype option using the Search option in Mac OS X. After that, move all of the results that appear on the screen to the trash and empty it.
- Finally, restart your computer and you are done.